Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walking for health

Here is a link to the Britains Best Walks clip

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dvB6qOn9lXs

Quote Originally Posted by Tom32 View Post
    I've taken up more fell walking and found it to be excellent for the soul as well as for the muscles and mind. The fresh, brisk air is just what the doctor ordered to blow away the cobwebs of the winter and prepare us for the spring ahead.

Gwen, I thought the walks around Britain was on ITV with Julia Bradbury? Definitely worth a watch for inspiration.
    I have to say, I'm quite enjoying the TV series, it is giving me some inspiration to get out there and see the countryside a bit more. But, I have to admit, I keep thinking I must be getting old, enjoying such programmes

I read somewhere that walking uses more energy from the hips, whereas running uses it from the ankles. Which is good because I have energy laden hips that really could do with trimming up.

Seriously, I enjoy walking in the countryside, I find that as long as I keep up a consistently good pace, I feel stronger and energised afterwards and my legs tingle.

I read that walking just 30 mins a day on a regular basis will cut your risk of strokes and heart attacks by up to 40%, which is amazing when you consider how easy it is to get 30 minutes of walking into a daily routine.

For inspiration on walks around the UK, I recommend in buying the walking magazines, there are a few available, In fact I think the BBC has a walking mag too.
    In the magazines there is normally a cut out section of various walks around the UK.

I've tried a few from their recommendations and found them to be good walks with interesting views.

That viewanger app was my saving grace, it helped me find interesting walks in my local area. Walks I wouldn't have known existed, it enabled me to get out, and off the normal paths.

I now really enjoy walking and have found it another string to my exercise bow. It nice to get out of the gym and try something different.

I think walking is a more natural form of exercise for humans, we weren’t designed to run for long periods. Proof of this is the damage runners do to their joints, in what is a relatively short period of time.

You can’t beat having a walk through woodland areas, it does something to the soul.

I read somewhere that the motion of walking massages our organs! I’m not sure if this is true.