Thread: Blackberries

Blog Entries

Blackberries

Name:  74EEDCB3-9C6F-45B1-B295-5CF0C2DD071A.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  20.7 KB

The abundant hedgerow black grape-like berries will be coming into season in autumn and what a better way to enjoy a handful of these powerful berries than to go into the countryside and pick them directly from the brambles.

During the 18th century the Greek cure for gout was blackberry, this cure was so widely used throughout Europe that it gained the name ‘Gout berry’.

Blackberries are nutrient dense and have a subtle sweet-sour taste, they contain both soluble and insoluble fibre, making them perfect for your digestive health and due to their high fibre content, eating them as a snack will keep you feeling fuller for longer.

Blackberries are considered a ‘superfood’ and for good reason, they contain vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B2 , vitamin B3, vitamin B6, Folate, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin K. There is also a package of minerals including calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc and potassium.

These little berries are a powerhouse of antioxidants, brimming with phenolic acids, flavonols and flavonoids particularly anthocyanosides, they work to mop up free radicals, helping to remove toxins from our body.

Name:  C86026D4-E265-4AF8-B98D-EF9BA0D69743.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  12.0 KB

Your oral health can benefit too! Blackberries contain Gallic acid, Rubin and ellagic acid, which have anti-carcinogenic and antibacterial properties. These are known to kill pathogens and, along with antiviral properties these collectively make the humble blackberry a wise choice when treating periodontal infections.

Blackberries contain anthocyanins and other phytochemicals such as ellagic acid and cyaniding-3-glucoside, these micronutrients are known to exert an chemopreventative effect and can help to prevent the spread of cancerous cells.

Magnesium and fibre can help to promote healthy arteries by assisting in the smooth flow of blood through the vessels. The high levels of magnesium found in blackberries make eating them a heart healthy choice! The regulation of blood pressure can also benefit from the magnesium helping to protect against heart attacks and strokes.

Blackberries are prebiotic which mean they help to feed the good bacteria in your gut that have been linked to immunity, mood and anti-inflammatory benefits.

The benefits don’t end there! Blackberries are a rich source of vitamin C, which helps to boost your immunity, and benefit your skin, this potent antioxidant is important for DNA repair and the production of collagen and serotonin.

Folklore tells us that blackberries should not be picked after Old Michaelmas Day (11th October) as the Devil has made them unfit to eat. There may be some value in this, as the autumnal weather takes hold the fruit can become infected with various moulds such as Botryotinia, leaving the fruit potentially toxic.
    Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life

I remember picking blackberries as a child and taking them home to my mum, she boiled them in a saucepan and loads of little bugs came out of them and to this day I struggle to eat them but they really are delicious and if they repair your DNA they must be pretty powerful berries.

I’ve always wondered how they get the shop bought ones to be so huge, when the hedgerow ones are tiny!

I love the added bit about the old folks tale! I’ll be sure to go picking my fruit before the 11th now! .

There is nothing more autumnal than blackberry and apple pie

Quote Originally Posted by Rene82 View Post
    I’ve always wondered how they get the shop bought ones to be so huge, when the hedgerow ones are tiny!
    I think the ones in the shop are bigger because they are a different type maybe? They are so much bigger than the hedgerows aren’t they?

I love blackberries and just coming into season now so extra tasty

I do love the humble blackberry, eaten on their own or in a crumble or pie. It always make smile as I remember picking them from the hedgerows as a child