Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Male menopause

Male menopause

The male menopause is often unspoken, misunderstood and is a real problem for men, even though they often don’t care to admit it.
    I never really realised I was suffering from it until I realised I had lost my zest for life, I had no interest in anything and no drive to find an interest either.

Presumed to be suffering from depression, I was treated as though it was chosen stage in my life which I had to pull myself out of. But, I knew it wasn’t, I think I was depressed, but not for any reason, just an inner sense of loss without understanding what I had actually lost.

I did some research and discovered my symptoms matched that of Andropause, more commonly known as the male menopause. I’m still finding my way through this, some days are better than others.

I just wanted to share that it is a thing that men suffer from, but just don’t speak about or understand.

I am so pleased that you felt able to share your feelings on here and I want to thank you for opening up to how the male menopause makes you feel. I think women are very open about the menopause and how it makes them feel but I never realised that men could go through the same thing as I thought it was a hormonal thing! I hope you get the help and support you need and feel better soon

Isn’t the male menopause what used to be lightheartedly considered the ‘midlife crises’ ?

I think it is sad that it is barely recognised or spoke about. I think if men suffer in the same way that women do, through the loss in their testosterone it is a crying shame that not more awareness is made. I wonder if the medical profession pick up on the signs?

The classic symptoms are very similar to the female menopause, lack of sex drive, irritability, mood swings, loss of muscle mass, depression. Unfortunately, these symptoms also match that of depression, as a result, andropause is often overlooked by doctors, and so not treated correctly.

It also causes low self esteem, much like it does in women, and this is probably where the ‘midlife crises’ title comes from.

Is this common in Men? In the same way that all women will go through the menopause, do all men?

Male menopause is there even such a thing? I thought menopause was all linked to hormones in women and childbearing age.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
    Is this common in Men? In the same way that all women will go through the menopause, do all men?
    Yes, of course it is, it is just under recognised!

Quote Originally Posted by Judy202 View Post
    Male menopause is there even such a thing? I thought menopause was all linked to hormones in women and childbearing age.
    I am sure you would be offended if I said to you that the female menopause is all in the women’s mind! Of course a drop in hormones exist in men as they age!

Blog Entries
    If like women, the female menopause causes stress and anxiety, it may help to know that if men suffer a similar fate leading to impotence and loss of libido the essential oil of cardamon may offer some much needed support, I do not know if adding this seed to rice or dishes, as so commonly used in Indian dishes serves a similar outcome, but it may be worth pursuing if this becomes a problem.
    Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life