Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downgrading exam results

There are going to be some very disappointed children next week when GCSE results come out as I think people taking A levels are more passionate and committed to their studying whereas GCSE students are not the same!

I was listening to the news which explained how the exam results worked, which means they are based on the postcode of the school, along with other factors, and I have to say I’m utterly shocked and simply can not understand the process.

Why are marks downgraded based on the postcode of the school? Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this?

Quote Originally Posted by over the hill View Post
    Why are they talking about the exams results being a fiasco in this country, when students have three options available to them? Use their Mock results, accept the current results or re-sit? Is it possible that some people’s work is worthy of that grade, and that maybe the teacher was bias in their marking? Shouldn’t all marking be done by external companies that have no knowledge of where the papers are from?
    The fiasco is the algorithm that was used to grade pupils results. It was based on a postcode lottery, basically if you live in a poorer area it reflected in your result which is completely unfair. The 3 options that were reported to be available have been withdrawn so lots of very disgruntled kids

I think it’s absolutely outrageous, who advises these people?

Government could not organise a piss-up in a brewery!

Excellent news to day that the A Level and GCSE results will be based on teachers expected grades rather be than the algorithm created by a scientist. I’m sure there will still be some kids that will be unhappy though!