Thread: Social media and it’s negative effects

Social media and it’s negative effects

I have recently come off social media platforms as I am finding they have a negative effect on my mental health. I think the whole platform itself is very regulated, and people don’t really want to engage in anything that is real. It’s just mindless chatter, with no substance or it is a place for idiots to go to to argue that black is white!

What I have noticed is that it is making me feel quite low and angry with the world, so I have removed myself from this aspect of society.
    Am I alone in these views?

If you look at social media sites you will see the mindless posts get the most interactions from people, anything gossipy or controversial gets lots of support but if you post anything heartfelt or meaningful nobody wants to know. I think that social media is there for trolls and people to press ‘like’ on a witty picture and move on. Instagram is based on fake images and selling you a dream of the perfect life when behind closed doors these people are probably miserable and under enormous pressure to post something new to keep themselves in the limelight. Let them get on with it and if you don’t like it block them and don’t let them get to you

I only look at social media for some light hearted relief from my humdrum life!

There are some really nasty people out there so I would avoid community groups and make sure you only accept friend requests from people you know and care about. Social media can be an amazing platform when used correctly. There was a recent fatal hit and run in my area and due to social media they have now made an arrest of two people where they may not have. It has its good sides and the bad ones you just need to protect yourself against.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy202 View Post
    I only look at social media for some light hearted relief from my humdrum life!
    I struggle to find light hearted, unless seeing the 10,000 pic of someone holding their drinks glass on holiday, or their meal for the evening, or their kids first day at school! I have wasted hours of my life looking at that shit! I have moved on, and choose to be more productive with that time.

It has become a habit that I need to break, I wake up and check social media then feel depressed because they all seem to be having a better life than me or they are depressed and posting about mental health so that makes me depressed too!! I need to get a life

I hate social media it is the most demoralising and depressing place to be. If you don’t like it don’t look that’s my advice, sorry to be blunt!