Thread: A step in the right direction

Lightbulb A step in the right direction

Fantastic news and definitely a step in the right direction for minimising the use of plastic.

The supermarket chain Morrisons is starting trials which could see it ditch all its plastic bags for life.

From Monday it will offer strong paper bags instead of reusable plastic ones in eight stores, and, if customers seem happy, offer them at all 494 stores.

Morrisons says the paper bags can carry up to 16kg, have handles and can carry up to 13 bottles of wine - as much as the plastic counterparts.

All leading supermarkets are trying to cut plastics use.

Tesco said its bags for life were made from 100% recycled and fully recyclable plastic. It recently stopped using plastic bags to deliver online groceries following a successful trial last year.

Sainsbury gave the same details for its bags, and said it was trialling a return to bagless deliveries, which were temporarily stopped amid the pandemic.
    Morrisons said there was evidence bags for life are being used once before being binned.

It said a full replacement of its bags for life would save 90 million plastic bags being used each year, the equivalent of 3,510 tonnes of plastic per year.
    Morrisons' chief executive, David Potts, said: "We believe customers are ready to stop using plastic carrier bags as they want to reduce the amount of plastic they have in their lives and keep it out of the environment.

"We know that many are taking reusable bags back to store and, if they forget these, we have paper bags that are tough, convenient and a re-useable alternative."

Supermarkets began charging for plastic bags in England 2015, after the government introduced a charge of 5p for single-use ones to cut their use.

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland run their own schemes to reduce plastic bag use.

In 2014, 7.6 billion bags were handed out in England alone, around 140 per household a year, according to the environment department, Defra.

The number distributed since then has dropped by 80%.

This is good news and a step in the right direction, let’s just hope more companies follow suit.

Lidl have been giving customers the options for a long time, but I applaud Morrison’s for doing the right thing and leading the way! The continued availability of plastic bags when there are alternatives about is simply not acceptable.

I think more companies will jump on board because they can use it as an advertising campaign, lets face it they will be doing it for their own benefit!

I love this, some positive news for a change

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    I love this, some positive news for a change
    Absolutely, there is a distinct lack of good news anywhere in the world right now! Let’s hope Morrison’s leads the way in all things environmental.

On the news today they have said that all supermarkets will be doubling the price of their plastic bags to 10p. Whilst this is good news as it means it could cut down on usage wouldn’t they be better to just provide paper only?

I see the prices of 5p bags are to be increased to 10p now, I think this will certainly push more people to reuse their plastic, or uses alternative bags. I still don’t understand why the plastic bags that are being used are not biodegradable!