Thread: Acai Berries

Blog Entries

Acai Berries

Name:  D8C9A594-13D3-403C-B333-3BA2190467D2.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  20.7 KB

Açai (ah-sigh-EE) Berries have been heavily promoted as a superfood for some time, and it seems it’s new-found status is with good reason! These heart healthy berries grows on palm trees and are native to tropical Central and South America and have a preference for wet and swampy conditions.

The benefits of this incredible plant do not end with the fruit, the palm leaves are used in the material industry to make mats, hats, carpets and roof thatch.

The most impressive nutrients found in this fruit are the polyphenols, which have powerful antioxidant properties. These compounds have been shown to be beneficial in warding off respiratory tract infections and help protect the body from harmful bacteria.

The native South American’s have used the fruit and roots for hundreds of years in the treatment of numerous ailments including constipation, nausea and diarrhoea.

There is some suggestion that due to the high levels of antioxidants, anthocyanins and flavonols that the Açai berry may be beneficial in reducing high blood cholesterol levels.

Name:  88FFD9B2-3F25-4800-900A-C1E355396703.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  17.6 KB

The dense nutritional compounds found in Açai berries mean that they are useful in reducing inflammation within the body, which may benefit joint pain, as well as boosting your immune system and helping to protect your cardiovascular function, meaning these berries are heart healthy!

Açai berries are packed with more antioxidants than blueberries, strawberries, cranberries and have 10 times more antioxidant levels than grapes.

Research is ongoing on how the Açai berry can help reduce the proliferation of cancer cells in certain cancers and this is exciting news, watch this space!

Açai berries contain high amounts of heart healthy fats, in fact nearly 50% of the açai berry is fat, with 74% coming from unsaturated fats, such as Omega 3, Omega 6, and Omega 9.

The high quantities of polyphenolic compounds may help to lower the risk of conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease, as well as boost your general cognitive function.

Açai berries contain an impressive 19 different amino acids, which are very important compounds required by the body to help build proteins. Almost every body function, including growth and development, healing and repair require amino acids.

Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life

I’ve seen this powder mentioned in a few health books, I guess it could be a good alternative to blueberries in smoothies.

I have never seen these berries do you know where I can get them from?

What do these berries taste like are they sweet?

Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
    What do these berries taste like are they sweet?

They are like an earthy sweet, much like blackberries are earthy, but sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Honor265 View Post
    I have never seen these berries do you know where I can get them from?
    You can’t buy the berries, you can only get them in powdered form, because they do not keep from picking.

These health powders cost a fortune though. By the time you’ve covered all health bases, you’re broke!

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    These health powders cost a fortune though. By the time you’ve covered all health bases, you’re broke!
    Ha ha I think that too, it seems there is a hefty price tag to eating healthily!