Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The acceptable practice of segregation

The acceptable practice of segregation

I actually can’t believe I’m writing this... no really, in the year of 2020 I am writing to say that segregation of black and white people is becoming acceptable and wanted practice!

I read in disbelief that university’s in America are being asked, and conforming to request of making SAFE spaces for Black people to reside, because apparently they don’t feel safe around White people.

If this isn’t bad enough, it is not just Black people, but people ‘who identify as Black’

Why oh why are we pandering to this demand? People have died in the name of integration, for us all to be equal, for us to stand, eat and share the same spaces as equals, why are these, quite frankly ‘stupid woke’ people being allowed to dictate a narrative that is dangerous for all colours!

Segregation is not the answer, it will only serve to segregate more, I generally believe the divide between Black and White has never been wider in modern times.

I now feel forced to see colour, where I grew up in a time when I was encouraged to see the person, and not their colour.

2020 has been the turn of the tide for humans, and we are now on a declining society.

Why would people of any colour actively want to segregate themselves? History has shown that no good comes from this. Segregation does not build understanding of cultures and communities, it will only bring about more fear and misunderstanding.

And really what is that ‘who identify as Black’ all about? I really do worry for the future of the human race, we are allowing young people to dictate the present, when really don’t know what the consequences are for their actions. It is almost like they are pushing back against everything, just for the sheer sake of it!

I think BLM has set themselves back decades in this current protest. They have now brought back segregation then? I have noticed that on TV there are more black people or people of colour (crikey am I allowed to say that?) than there ever were and whilst I couldn’t care less about the colour of your skin it seems they do because they just talk about skin colour all the time. The N word is also extremely offensive to them yet they use it in every line of their own music. Help me understand where you think this will end because right now I am too scared to talk to anyone in case I offend them. What a lonely world we are creating for ourselves!

What a sad state of affairs that this is still being discussed today and largely due to the death of George Floyd in America where there is police brutality to all skin colours and sexes but you only hear about the black people. I am very careful not to talk to black people for fear of offending them!

Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
    I think BLM has set themselves back decades in this current protest. They have now brought back segregation then? I have noticed that on TV there are more black people or people of colour (crikey am I allowed to say that?) than there ever were and whilst I couldn’t care less about the colour of your skin it seems they do because they just talk about skin colour all the time. The N word is also extremely offensive to them yet they use it in every line of their own music. Help me understand where you think this will end because right now I am too scared to talk to anyone in case I offend them. What a lonely world we are creating for ourselves!

I find myself wondering what happened to the previous presenters before the newbies suddenly arrived?

Some of these comments are not surprising: "apparently they don’t feel safe around White people"
    I've had a year of harassment from a racist neighbour who thought is was acceptable to urinate and spit on my laundry on the washing line. There is only myself and one other neighbour in my block of flats who are not white. So YES after this experience I do not feel as safe and hope to move to an neighbourhood where there are more ethnic minorities. Not saying that I don't feel safe around white people.
    We all have the right to feel safe & secure in our homes.
    " there is police brutality to all skin colours and sexes but you only hear about the black people"
    Erm ... that's because there is disproportionate police brutality towards black people
    "I am too scared to talk to anyone in case I offend them"
    Well YES those of us who have experienced racism are going to be offended if you keep downplaying racism. Why do you have an issue with seeing more ethnic minorities on TV?

I struggle to understand people’s reactions to any colour or race, I simply don’t get it, but then I struggle to understand human actions at the best of times.

I don’t have an issue seeing more Black people or any colour on the TV, I have an issue to the knee jerk reaction to the BLM movement, in terms of why does it take a movement like that to highlight that there are a whole diversity of people out there that should be represented in the media.

It’s like the media are tripping over themselves to appear inclusive, yet why did they not WANT to be before?
    As for the events in America, with police brutality, I don’t think anyone can stNd by and see this and comprehend any of their actions. My personal belief is that when police go rogue they should have harsher sentences, because of the position they held.

I’m sorry to hear you do feel unsafe in your home, and I think that your voice should be heard, I genuinely don’t think the majority of people know the experiences people of colour go through.

Dahlia I’m sorry to read that you have experienced such racist abuse, my original post came from a perspective that those people that abuse are surely the minority, like in all walks of life, it is the minority that ruin it for the whole. But, I stand by what I said, I don’t believe segregation of black only spaces is healthy.

We need to have better understanding of each other’s cultures, separating communities completely will not help to bridge this divide. That said, I don’t understand why we continue to have these problems. I work in an environment where sometimes I’m in the minority, and oddly, this is a situation that hasn’t crossed my mind until the BLM highlighted the colour divide.

I think it’s sad, I welcome integration, I prefer to work with multiple cultures, so, while I understand the need and importance to feel safer, I think it is sad that we live in times that you have to do that, but I feel it sad that segregation may become common practice again.

My best friend of over 30 years is black but I don’t see the colour of her skin she is just the most incredibly kind, compassionate and beautiful person inside and out but........ with all this black lives matter talk I feel if I ask her how she feels about it I am then acknowledging she has a different skin colour to mine and I don’t look at her that way. It is so difficult because I’m not sure what to do so I then do nothing and does that mean I don’t care because I do.

Oh my goodness that is disgusting how can people be like that? I am so sorry that you should have to live in fear in your own neighbourhood. I think there is definitely disproportionate police brutality against black people but sadly it’s the riots and protests that get reported in the news as a result of racial hatred that then deflects from the real cause and your voice is lost amongst all the bad press. Your comment about being offended because racism is downplayed makes me ask the question, would you rather we didn’t discuss it at all or is it better to be open and ask you what your experiences are? I don’t think anyone has a problems with ethnic minorities being on television it’s just a case of there are more lately and is the reason just to tick a box or to say I really value the opinions of everybody which is how it should be. As a white person I can never understand how you feel but I value you and your opinions as a person not the colour of your skin and I want to understand how I can be better