Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The acceptable practice of segregation

Quote Originally Posted by Dahlia View Post
    Some of these comments are not surprising: "apparently they don’t feel safe around White people"
    I've had a year of harassment from a racist neighbour who thought is was acceptable to urinate and spit on my laundry on the washing line. There is only myself and one other neighbour in my block of flats who are not white. So YES after this experience I do not feel as safe and hope to move to an neighbourhood where there are more ethnic minorities. Not saying that I don't feel safe around white people.
    We all have the right to feel safe & secure in our homes.
    " there is police brutality to all skin colours and sexes but you only hear about the black people"
    Erm ... that's because there is disproportionate police brutality towards black people
    "I am too scared to talk to anyone in case I offend them"
    Well YES those of us who have experienced racism are going to be offended if you keep downplaying racism. Why do you have an issue with seeing more ethnic minorities on TV?

Dahlia, this is painful to read, i can understand people, but do you have any support in your area to help you deal with your neighbour, or do you feel you can not approach other people?

I think there is very little understanding of what people go through in their daily lives, what we know and understand is fed to us through the media, and this is a very mixed, confusing picture, that only serves to divide. I sit here typing this shaking my head wondering why people are made to feel unsafe and afraid within their own homes and community.

Reading a news article with Daley Thompson, where he talks about needing to understand the BLM movement made me feel quite disheartened. In the article he refers to a conversation with Michael Holding (Cricket legend) where Michael says that Black people feel ‘at the bottom of the pile’ so if BLM, then by default, all lives matter. Is this true? Is this how Black people feel, at the bottom of the pile?

I am absolutely for people standing up for what is right, and I do understand that sadly the only way your voice gets heard is through causing chaos. But I think the movement is being blighted by a fair majority that want to just cause mass destruction, which over shadows the message. I very much doubt Black people care what words are sung in a song, that is sung once a year, getting rid of such frivolous acts will not change how Black people are integrated, wiping history will not change how we view anyone, what is needed is role models, we need to see more of the BAME communities in high profile positions because they deserve to be there, that they are chosen on their merits, and those role models that are already in place need to be more out spoken, show kids that it is possible to rise above and make something of themselves.

Let’s face it, some of the best music artists in the world ever to have existed are from the BAME communities, some of the best actors in are from the BAME communities, the biggest film industry is Indian, let us not go down the route of the BBC where they tell us that we can not cook a dish that is not from our culture, that only seeks to divide. Instead, let’s see more of the BAME cultures showing us their foods, lifestyles, this will help us all to understand one another and help to integrate us. What a wonderful, rich society we would then have!
    Last edited by Rebecca; 30th August 2020 at 05:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy2Two View Post
    Dahlia, this is painful to read, i can understand people, but do you have any support in your area to help you deal with your neighbour, or do you feel you can not approach other people?

I think there is very little understanding of what people go through in their daily lives, what we know and understand is fed to us through the media, and this is a very mixed, confusing picture, that only serves to divide. I sit here typing this shaking my head wondering why people are made to feel unsafe and afraid within their own homes and community.
    Hi Mummy2Two, thank you for your concern. I have an African friend who lives in the same block, she has been supportive and encouraged me to report him to the police. He has since been evicted by the lettings agent (in June), but he is so full of vengence that he returned last night at 1am and continuously rang our buzzer via the intercom.
    Yes I generally feel I cannot approach the other neighbours. One elderly neighbour actually made the situation worse by showing him support which fuelled his harassment. I feel that those who turn a blind eye to racism or quietly support it are a big part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
    Oh my goodness that is disgusting how can people be like that? I am so sorry that you should have to live in fear in your own neighbourhood. I think there is definitely disproportionate police brutality against black people but sadly it’s the riots and protests that get reported in the news as a result of racial hatred that then deflects from the real cause and your voice is lost amongst all the bad press. Your comment about being offended because racism is downplayed makes me ask the question, would you rather we didn’t discuss it at all or is it better to be open and ask you what your experiences are? I don’t think anyone has a problems with ethnic minorities being on television it’s just a case of there are more lately and is the reason just to tick a box or to say I really value the opinions of everybody which is how it should be. As a white person I can never understand how you feel but I value you and your opinions as a person not the colour of your skin and I want to understand how I can be better
    Hi Charlotte, we absolutely have to speak about it without fear. I'm totally against the idea of segregation, I agree it will inevitably cause further divide. I really hope we don't go down the same route in the UK.

Hi Charlotte, we absolutely have to speak about it without fear
    As a result of what Charlotte and yourself said, I’m going to summon up the courage and ask my friends and colleagues about their experiences. I would love for them to know they are supported.

Hi Mummy2Two, thank you for your concern. I have an African friend who lives in the same block, she has been supportive and encouraged me to report him to the police. He has since been evicted by the lettings agent (in June), but he is so full of vengence that he returned last night at 1am and continuously rang our buzzer via the intercom.
    Yes I generally feel I cannot approach the other neighbours. One elderly neighbour actually made the situation worse by showing him support which fuelled his harassment. I feel that those who turn a blind eye to racism or quietly support it are a big part of the problem.
    Everything you say about your current situation is sad, but for me, I would hate to find out that my. Neighbour was being put through this situation, but didn’t feel able to come to me for support.

Let’s hope that he soon gets bored and leaves you alone.