Thread: High Cholesterol

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

High Cholesterol

My Mother has recently been told she has high levels of bad cholesterol and so has been offered a Statin as first line care.

No dietary advice, no lifestyle advice, just statins. Of course, my immediate reaction is to try a diet change, rather than take the risk of the side effects of statins. I will not deny I was somewhat peeved that a dietary pep talk does not take place!

Anyway, any recommendations for natural ideas, foods etc that can naturally reduce bad cholesterol?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellyjames View Post
    My Mother has recently been told she has high levels of bad cholesterol and so has been offered a Statin as first line care.

No dietary advice, no lifestyle advice, just statins. Of course, my immediate reaction is to try a diet change, rather than take the risk of the side effects of statins. I will not deny I was somewhat peeved that a dietary pep talk does not take place!

Anyway, any recommendations for natural ideas, foods etc that can naturally reduce bad cholesterol?

My most common go-to would be to suggest pomegranate juice, fresh pomegranate or purchase pomegranate seed extract, I have recommended Pukka, simply because I find their products very good, and I like the ethos of their brand.
    Pomegranate has been shown to aid the reduction and prevention of cholesterol, and for me personally, this would be my go to treatment. As with all things, If you take prescribed medications, always read the label, ask your doctor of the pharmacist if there is any known drug reactions.
    Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life

I think doctors shove pills down patients throats instead of talking about lifestyle and diet choices but then their time is limited so they just don’t have the time to discuss better choices.

You need to look at the type of fat in your diet and switching unsaturated instead of saturated.

Unsaturated fat is better for your heart health and is found in a wide range of tasty and versatile foods. These include nuts, seeds and vegetable oils (e.g. olive, rapeseed, sunflower) & spreads made from these.

There are lots of foods that you can add into your diet that can help with reducing cholesterol, have a look at foods with Saponins in, these are said to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    have a look at foods with Saponins in, these are said to help.
    Why saponins?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellyjames View Post
    Why saponins?
    I’ve never heard of saponins either

Blog Entries
    Adding an apple into your daily diet can has shown to reduce bad cholesterol in just 4 weeks
    Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life

I heard about this, how amazing that just a small step can make a difference to your cholesterol