Thread: Geranium - Pelargonium graveolens

Blog Entries

Geranium - Pelargonium graveolens

Name:  6A4F1C45-74A7-4CA2-AA0A-FC6BE0F6045B.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  17.3 KB

Geranium
    Geraniums are native to South Africa, and the oil is distilled from the leaves and green stems harvested during early flowering, when the leaves develop the rosy scent.

Key action:
    Cooling, moistening and balancing.

Benefits:
    Women's health
    Geranium oil offers relief in menopausal symptoms including hot flushes and vaginal dryness, dilute to use as a massage or a sitz bath, this method may offer some relief with cystitis and burning urination.

Digestion
    Used a massage over the abdomen geranium oil can offer relief with diarrhoea and gastroenteritis, or help relieve constipation.

Mind and emotions
    Geranium is said to restore balance and calms, but does not sedate. It is useful in the treatment of anxiety as well as palpitations and panic attacks.

Skin
    This pungent oil is very balancing for all skin types. Antiseptic and anti-inflammatory, it helps to control acne and is cooling and moisturising for dry inflamed skin.

Pain
    The analgesic properties help to relieve the pain of neuralgia and shingles, best used as a lotion, in the bath or as a compress.

Usage:
    See 'Safe Use of Essential Oils' article

Bath, massage, facial toner, diffusion, compress or inhalation

Blends well with: Bergamot, Lavender, Lemon, Marjoram, Neroli, Orange, Palmarosa and Rose.

Safety:
    Non-irritant in dilution.
    Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life

Is this the same as rose geranium oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Dahlia View Post
    Is this the same as rose geranium oil?
    Yes, I believe it is.

I personally can’t stand the musky smell of the geranium leaf, so I would be interested to know what the oil smell like, especially with such beneficial qualities.

The oil smells quite rosey quite different from the smell of the leaves. I like to dab a bit on my wrists as a perfume. It's one of my favourite essential oils.