Thread: Diabetics - soups and shakes

Diabetics - soups and shakes

Why are diabetics being encouraged to consume soups and diet shakes to help them lose weight and control their diet?

Changing your diet has been proven to reverse type 2 diabetes, But I am not convinced that encouraging people to consume diet shakes is the long term answer.

This type of diet does not educate people on healthy eating, nutrition and healthy choices.

You can prevent most cases of diabetes by keeping within a healthy BMI range! This is what we should be teaching.
    Last edited by Tanya; 1st September 2020 at 06:16.

I saw this today and think it is a recipe for disaster (pardon the pun!) it will lead to unhealthy eating habits and possible eating disorders!

So they are putting you on a liquid diet? How many of these diets are successful? From my own experience I do it for a month and then back to eating normally and the weight goes back on. Also they are very expensive so how is a poor person supposed to manage their diabetes?

I was baffled by this when I saw it on the news, how to develop poor eating habits and personally I think diabetes sufferers will return to their former eating habits through dietary boredom!

Didn’t they try and do this before about two years ago? I don’t understand Why real food is not recommended, it is more likely to satisfy the person and re-educate their palate.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Didn’t they try and do this before about two years ago? I don’t understand Why real food is not recommended, it is more likely to satisfy the person and re-educate their palate.
    It was mentioned once before, and clearly made no impact. People need to be re-educated about food and how it affects us.

I think this is a crazy idea as it is well documented that a diet of shakes just isn’t sustained over a long term. A proper balanced and nutritional diet plan is what is needed to change your diabetes.