Thread: Food vouchers!

Food vouchers!

There has been a big u turn by the government to extend the food vouchers for poorer families which if used correctly is amazing but............

I know that many people are using the vouchers which can be from Tesco, Waitrose, Aldi etc to buy cigarettes and alcohol and the children they were provided for are still not getting the food they need.

I think they should be given a fruit, vegetable and meat voucher only, what are your thoughts?

I know of families that are supposed to be poor and claim every benefit they can get their hands on but smoke and drink alcohol every day whilst I am working full time and can barely afford to treat myself to a chocolate bar, it makes me mad

Quote Originally Posted by Wills42 View Post
    There has been a big u turn by the government to extend the food vouchers for poorer families which if used correctly is amazing but............

I know that many people are using the vouchers which can be from Tesco, Waitrose, Aldi etc to buy cigarettes and alcohol and the children they were provided for are still not getting the food they need.

I think they should be given a fruit, vegetable and meat voucher only, what are your thoughts?
    On what grounds are families entitled to food vouchers? Are these people on benefits?

People on benefits are entitled to food vouchers when their child is out of school for holidays as it can be the only hot meal they get in a day but sadly the vouchers were of monetary value with no restrictions so could be used to buy alcohol and cigarettes which completely defeated the object of vulnerable children getting a meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
    People on benefits are entitled to food vouchers when their child is out of school for holidays as it can be the only hot meal they get in a day but sadly the vouchers were of monetary value with no restrictions so could be used to buy alcohol and cigarettes which completely defeated the object of vulnerable children getting a meal.

That’s ridiculous! Why is there not restrictions made on the vouchers? Just like if you get money off vouchers, there are often restrictions which say, not to be used against any other offers etc

Also, why is there a belief that children at home don’t get hot meals?

Iceland are now giving away bags of frozen food to people on Universal Credit which is amazing for people who are really struggling but there are always those that take advantage

I was reading the packet of my UncleBens rice (don’t judge!) and it said 14 million people live in poverty in the UK, I found myself scratching my head at this, 14 million out of a population of 67 million, with a welfare state like ours, one of the best in the world. Can there really be 14 million living in poverty?

Is poverty classified differently in Western countries?

I have to admit, I would be surprised by those figures, I thought our system meant no one was actually poor, they make be broke, due to outgoing commitments, but poor

Quote Originally Posted by cherry View Post
    I was reading the packet of my UncleBens rice (don’t judge!) and it said 14 million people live in poverty in the UK, I found myself scratching my head at this, 14 million out of a population of 67 million, with a welfare state like ours, one of the best in the world. Can there really be 14 million living in poverty?

Is poverty classified differently in Western countries?
    If you’ve ever lived on benefits you can see that there just isn’t enough money to live on. Others countries like Germany give people on benefits a realistic liveable wage. If you are receiving benefits to top up your low wage them it is okay but if you are solely on benefits it is just not enough

I think the poorest families that get these vouchers can largely be less educated so they have different priorities and cigarettes and alcohol is one of them. Before everyone has a go at me it is a fact that poorer families are less educated and that’s why they don’t have jobs