Thread: Suicide on the rise

Suicide on the rise

New figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show that across England and Wales, the number of women taking their own lives in 2019 was at its highest since 2004.

This alarming statistic is so sad. Why are more women committing suicide?

Are women under more pressure than ever to be successful in the work place and be a wife and mother?

I have felt suicidal for many many years and I totally understand why it is on the rise. Our world is full of people posting fake images and lives that other women want to aspire to Making their own life seem pitiful and worthless. Online trolling is on the rise and bullying in schools is out of control because a child can’t get away from them. It’s a sad world we live in

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn6 View Post
    I have felt suicidal for many many years and I totally understand why it is on the rise. Our world is full of people posting fake images and lives that other women want to aspire to Making their own life seem pitiful and worthless. Online trolling is on the rise and bullying in schools is out of control because a child can’t get away from them. It’s a sad world we live in
    I often think this about the social media world and how it must affect children that go to school, with bullying etc. I have many friends that do not do social media at all, and they are so much happier for the experience, they tell me they live in their own little bubble, and so are none the wiser to the rest of humanity. I think they do occasionally feel that they miss out a bit, but not to any degree of needing to join.

I think mental health issues are on the rise for all ages and sexes. life is so demanding now and people do not get any down time at all. Gone are the days when you used to work at a check out and just smile, chat and give customer service, now you are expected to sell so many items to each customer, the customers give you abuse, because they are rushed, and sick of being sold something.

It may be right or wrong, who knows, but years ago the woman stayed at home, kept the house, children and prepared the food, cooked etc. the man had his job and each new their role, but down time was down time. Now people have to hold down a full time job, and down time is spent catching up on all the house duties, shopping, cooking, cleaning etc its just a full on world. No wonder people feel stressed, inadequate. Especially when Social media portrays some random woman sitting on a yacht with fizz and long nails that have clearly never seen a days work in their life.

I just wish people would be more honest about not being perfect.

I’m sorry to hear this, is it social media that makes you feel that way, or does it just add to your sense of being low about yourself?

I hope you are seeking treatment, and I wish you a future of happiness and a mind that is at peace. My advice is really to stay away from social media, it is very toxic. I am on it, but recently had a cull of all the people and groups that I find depressing. There are groups on there which are all about positivity and happy things, join them, and at least your feed will be full of good stuff.

I have to admit, I like coming on here as it seems a positive place, the replies you get are helpful and nice. Some places people seem to want to argue about everything and really stress you out!

I’m not surprised suicide is on the rise, the world has gone mad! Nothing seems to make sense in 2020. I hope next year is back to normal.

I have felt suicidal for many many years
    I’m sorry to hear this, I’m working on the assumption you are being cared for by your GP, but there is loads of research available about the importance of diet and out microbiome in helping with our mental health. You may find some relief by looking into foods that can help you restore the balance.

Suicide in men is on the rise and often men don’t talk about how they feel. There is very little support available unless you are self harming or attempting suicide. Most therapy needs to come from within. It is a very lonely place to be but there are lots of self help books and resources available.

Suicide is on the rise due to Covid restrictions having a devastating effect on many livelihoods and sadly a second lockdown throughout winter is going to make depression and anxiety far worse. I think there are tough times ahead sadly

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
    Suicide is on the rise due to Covid restrictions having a devastating effect on many livelihoods and sadly a second lockdown throughout winter is going to make depression and anxiety far worse. I think there are tough times ahead sadly
    I agree, humans are social animals by nature and to be locked down for such long periods at a time is very detrimental to our mental health, and will undoubtedly lead to higher suicide rates. Sadly there is little to no support out there for people due to government cutbacks and high demand for these services.

This is a side to Covid that is very often not talked about or understood.