Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acupuncture

I found this on the Net, thought I'd share it. It explains how acupuncture works.

That is really interesting, thanks for sharing Jade26.

I never realised that is the theory behind acupuncture. I was a bit confused when he said acupuncture really hurts! Is he suggesting it hurts when it is done correctly? I have found some needles hurt, others don't.

It is an interesting concept, and one which I wish Western medicine would consider more.

I've been under the care of my GP for low back pain, in the sacral region, I've been reluctant to use strong pain killers, so my GP sent for acupuncture at the local hospital. I have to say, I'm quite impressed, I went along hopeful, but sceptical. However, the pain has dissipated to a more manageable ache and this can only be related to the acupuncture.

I have to admit, I do feel the odd needle go in, but more often that not, I don't feel anything.

Over the hill, did you try the acupuncture for back pain? If so, how did you get on?

I did my thesis on acupuncture for low back pain, there is a lot of evidence to suggest it is beneficial, although it is rare to find a paper that used acupuncture alone, most commonly they used it alongside other therapies, such as massage or physiology.

There was also suggestion that Sham acupuncture (superficial needling) was as effective as deep needling. Theses studies used localised trigger points, as in Western acupuncture, rather than Chinese acupunture along meridians.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the research suggests that it is beneficial for back pain.

How can Sham acupunction be as effective as deep needling? Wouldn't this suggest that it is not the needles at all, but rather the mind over matter theory?

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    There was also suggestion that Sham acupuncture (superficial needling) was as effective as deep needling. Theses studies used localised trigger points.
    Sham acupuncture is used with blunt needles, so the skin is not actually needled, just prodded, doesn't this put into question the need of acupuncture?

Sham acupuncture has found to be as effective as deep needling when giving acupuncture over trigger points. These triggers points are normally the tender, painful areas that people complain about. For example neck strain, or back pain.

Whereas when needling acupuncture points you could get a needle in your foot for back pain, in this case Sham needling in the foot has not been known to be beneficial in treating back pain.

So, to answer your question, yes, there may be an element of mind over of matter, as there is with all treatments and drugs, but the localised stimulus be it deep needling or Sham does have a beneficial effect.

I've had acupuncture in my G.P surgery, My G.P was very keen to offer this service to his patients, so undertook the course. He runs a small clinic within the surgery.

I was treated for a injury I sustained, with a pulled muscle that was not improving. A few sessions of acupuncture, I was back to normal, Occasionally I would feel a sharpness from the needle, but I wouldn't call it pain, more like a mild sting.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I've had acupuncture in my G.P surgery, My G.P was very keen to offer this service to his patients, so undertook the course. He runs a small clinic within the surgery.

I was treated for a injury I sustained, with a pulled muscle that was not improving. A few sessions of acupuncture, I was back to normal, Occasionally I would feel a sharpness from the needle, but I wouldn't call it pain, more like a mild sting.
    How do you think the acupuncture helped you, over massage or hot/cold treatments? Have the benefits been sustained?