Thread: When you child turns to drugs

When you child turns to drugs

My daughter has struggled with a physical condition since birth and as she has aged this condition has affected her functional life in so many ways. As a result, she has turned to drugs to numb her reality, I am concerned that this will get out of control, I have tried to approach this with understanding, but each time I try and talk to her she just becomes defensive.

Any recommendations on how I can boost her mood and support her through diet, counselling and self groups are really not an option at this stage and I feel helpless to to anything.

Wow!, I’m really sorry to hear your story Janice, certainly tough times ahead.

Obviously if your daughter is not in a place where she feels the need to seek advice there are plenty of groups that you can turn to for Proper advice and support. As for nutrition, I think a good all round supplement of vitamins and minerals would be a good starting point.

My advice is to be a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on, non judgemental and tell her you love her. Don’t put any pressure on her and don’t tell her she is making you feel terrible because she doesn’t need more stress. I’ve been where your daughter is and help has to come from within. I know it is heartbreaking but she will come round when she is ready, not when anyone tells her

Try getting to the root of the cause, rather than focus on the symptom. I think B-vitamins are very helpful for people coming off an addictive substance. Seek some support about taking high doses of B-vitamins. Obviously supplement with foods known to have high amounts in too.

Whole grains would be my first thought, brown rice etc. Good luck.

Hi Janice, you are absolutely right to ask this question, I did some work with an addiction charity and they looked at the use of supplements to help people overcome their addictions quicker and easier. A discovery was made noting that those people who were addicted to alcohol were also diffident on Pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), once the deficiencies were fixed there was a reduction in alcohol consumed.

Are you aware of Citicoline? The body does not make this nutrient naturally, so we have to supplement with it. It is in meats and eggs, and some veg, but in tiny quantities. The supplement cognising, is very good for this.

This can really boost brain. Function and help you feel happier and more alert. Shop around for a quality supplement.

Following an video I saw on YT about on Nigella seeds - Black seed, I did a little digging around and discovered that This seed has some amazing benefits, including in the care of people coming off drugs.

It may be worth adding these black seeds into foods to help decrease your child’s dependency on drugs, or maybe the feelings to want more, to get the ‘high’

https://www.greenmedinfo.com/article...oid-dependence Here is a link to an overview of some research. It isn’t the whole paper, but it may spark your interest to look for more info good luck