Thread: Environmental changes

Environmental changes

Why are environmental changes always considered bad? The planet has always changed from what we understand.

We are constantly being told that the process is speeding up, when surely this is natural, if you watch an ice cube melting it seems to take forever to start changing, but in the last parts, when there is a small amount left, this speeds up considerably, it’s basic chemistry.

So why the concern? The planet is surely just going through its cycle of evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Beccy View Post
    Why are environmental changes always considered bad?.
    Because of the effect it has on the planet and the implications of that effect to us

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Because of the effect it has on the planet and the implications of that effect to us
    I think Beccy’s point is that the planet has always changed, so why have we not lived our lives knowing this? (Sorry If I have misunderstood you Becky)

I think the point is that with so many humans on the planet any change in our climate will always be catastrophic for the species living on it. From what I have read, other civilisations have been wiped out due to climate changes. So will will not be the first, and also very unlikely to be the last.

Any decisions about future growth and development, meaning where new towns, houses etc are built should be based on the future effects on such a climate change, this will limit the immediate effects to us.

Hi London, yes you are correct, the planet has always changed, I’m not saying that the change is not beneficial for the species on the planet, but my point is why are we seeing it as something that would not have happened, had it not been for us, the reality is, it always was going to change, so why didn’t/don’t we plan plan for such changes, rather than build in places when the changes will directly effect us, like building on low lying land, that is likely to become a flood plain in the event of the seas rising.

Quote Originally Posted by Beccy View Post
    Hi London, yes you are correct, the planet has always changed, I’m not saying that the change is not beneficial for the species on the planet, but my point is why are we seeing it as something that would not have happened, had it not been for us, the reality is, it always was going to change, so why didn’t/don’t we plan plan for such changes, rather than build in places when the changes will directly effect us, like building on low lying land, that is likely to become a flood plain in the event of the seas rising.
    Because as humans we have an arrogance that believes it will never happen to us, and then it does we stamp our feet and demand action and an explanation as to why we were never told!
    The local councils will start to make the right decisions, but it will be when the waves are lapping around their ankles!

Ive never understood why there is a focus on the melting ice caps, like this is a phenomenon that should never occur. Surely there was a time when these caps were never covered in ice, so what was the cause of this change in atmosphere?

is it possible that the changing climate is just a natural occance in the cycle of the planets health? maybe it has something to do with the changing magnetic poles.

I’m guessing by environmental changes, you mean climate change?

I think the climate has changed since the day we had a climate. As to whether humans are responsible for a speeding up of the change, I couldn’t say. However I have been more intrigued by the activity of the sun recently and notice there is a correlation between the suns activity and our weather patterns. I recommend you You Tube this phenomenon and maybe you will not be so easily convinced of Man’s involvement in our changing climate.