Thread: Oh sugar, sugar!

Blog Entries

Oh sugar, sugar!

This 90 minute hard hitting documentary looks at our relationship to sugar and the effects it is having on weight control.

Obesity is associated with type two diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, cancer, depression, reduced quality of life and premature death. In fact 60% of the worlds population live in countries where overweight and obesity kills more people than underweight; and if current trends continue, it is estimated that there will be 2.16 billion individuals classified as overweight and 1.12 billion as obese by 2030.

The World Health Organisation recommends sugar consumption should be limited to 7 teaspoons of sugar a day for an adult. This is reduced further still for children aged 4-6, with 4.5 teaspoons recommended as their daily maximum allowance.

These foods are given as an example of how easy it is to over-consume sugar, Kelloggs Sultana Bran 5.5 tsp per 100g, Kelloggs Special K 3.5 tsp per 100g, Heinz Tomato Ketchup 1 tsp per 15 ml, Danone Activia fat-free strawberry yogurt 3.5 tsp in 125g pot.
    Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life

A very touching documentary, which I have seen before, but I thought I'd comment.
    I am really saddened by the way the food industry cons the public and that government allows this to go on uncontrolled. Is it any wonder that the nation has an expanding waist line?
    People are blindly believing that following a healthy diet is getting them healthy while all along they are shovelling crap in their bodies leading to a reduction in health. It makes me so angry

I have to admit I was cross between shocked and amused at the woman towards the end.....what the hell was she thinking?

I felt sorry for the children, but what's the constant excuse for ignorance?

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy2Two View Post
    I have to admit I was cross between shocked and amused at the woman towards the end.....what the hell was she thinking?

Blimey! I know what you mean, I had to play that bit back a few times, to believe what I was hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy2Two View Post
    Shocking! But it shows you how addictive sugar is! She really did seem to see it as a choice in life!