Thread: Can alcohol ever be considered a tonic?

Can alcohol ever be considered a tonic?

Growing up my Grandparents often enjoyed an evening ‘tipple’ for ‘health purposes’ in this modern world, did the older generation have the right ideas, or do we know better now-a-days?

I definitely think alcohol can be considered a ‘tonic’ if it’s just a small glass of red wine or measure of whisky. There are recorded health benefits to it too.

If you're in good shape, moderate drinking makes you 25% to 40% less likely to have a heart attack, stroke, or hardened arteries. This may be in part because small amounts of alcohol can raise your HDL ("good" cholesterol) levels.

I think it depends on the quality of the alcohol and the quantity, but I think a small glass of a tipple would be good for you both physically and mentally. Although, I think with all things, there is probably a tipping point.

I think alcohol can affect your immunity and of course damage your liver.

Alcohol is also a huge cause of mouth cancer!

Saying that, I do believe a small ‘tot’ in the evening of a quality spirit is good as it keeps the blood flowing.

My Nan always gargled with whiskey before bed and she lived to 98 so there must be some truth in it being a tonic

Alcohol in small doses can indeed be a tonic but can also lead to addiction so it’s a mixed blessing I think

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
    Alcohol in small doses can indeed be a tonic but can also lead to addiction so it’s a mixed blessing I think
    Sure;y you would need to have an addictive personality for it to lead to addiction.

I think everything in moderation and if you believe something to be harmful and take it in excessive quantities then it will be. But if you are sensible and take a snifter from time to time in the belief that it is benefitting you, then only benefits will come to you