Thread: Alzheimer’s disease

Alzheimer’s disease

It seems there may be some hope, research is linking levels of fructose in the brain to the debilitating Alzheimer’s disease -

New research proposes that Alzheimer's disease may be driven by the overactivation of fructose made in the brain. The study outlined the hypothesis that Alzheimer's is a modern disease driven by changes in dietary lifestyle that has resulted in excessive fructose metabolism in the brain (https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0923124802.htm)

Which suggestions that it is not a natural part of ageing and is in fact completely preventable. Of course science is looking at ways to inhibit the fructose in the brain, rather than just tell people to watch what they eat!

I read this with interest, wouldn’t it be wonderful if you could fight this debilitating illness by changing the levels of fructose in the brain?

So how would you go about reducing fructose, and why does the brain make fructose? I thought that was fruit sugar?

When there is an excess of glucose, the processes that break it down can become saturated, so the body converts this glucose to fructose using a chemical reaction called polyol pathway. the brain uses this pathway to make fructose in the brain.

Importantly, research has shown that exposure to fructose can significantly alter the expression of hundreds of genes in the brain, including genes that control cell communication, inflammation and brain function. This suggests that fructose is likely to alter brain function.

A study showed that after just 20 minutes of a glucose infusion into the blood, fructose levels in the brain markedly increased, and at much higher levels than in the blood.

This type of research is really exciting, because it puts the control back in our hands with regards to health and our future health. Conditions that were once considered an inevitable part of ageing are being proven to simply be diet related and therefore complete preventable

I think this is really interesting and a worthwhile read, the last time I looked Alzheimer’s disease is the 4th biggest killer of people and it is moving up the ranks! We must start to understand how the food we eat impacts on our health both physically and mentally.

I personally try to reduce sugar where possible, when I have sugar I try and have it in a format that I know I’m having it, in chocolate or cake. But I avoid the add-on sugars that seem to be so harmful. What this study seem to show is whether stopping eating sugar can reverse the damage that may have already been done!

Blog Entries
    I worryingly have 8/10 of these symptoms on a daily basis, worsening as I get tired!

https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/10_signs. Are these really an indication of Alzheimer’s or just a busy lifestyle?
    Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life

I think a busy lifestyle can have very similar symptoms to Alzheimer’s and the menopause has many similarities