Thread: Constipation

Constipation

I wasn’t sure where to post this, or even if this has come up elsewhere.

I suffer from constipation and can go several days without going to the toilet, and when I go it always seems an effort
    Any suggestions for remedies, obviously I have been taking all the usual pharmacy meds, which are effective, but I would rather find a more natural way and a way to re-educate my bowel functions

Blog Entries
    The obvious points to look at would be to ensure you are eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables and to drink about 2L water daily.
    Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life

Soft fruits are great for preventing constipation, but also for easing constipation when it becomes an issue.

Okay, so this will sound weird, but when I’m constipated, I do all I can to soften the bowel, fluids, soft fruits, figs etc, and then, on waking after my cup of coffee in bed I do some deep breathing exercises, between 5-10 deep enough to make your belly expand and this seems to get me going!

Worth a try!

My Nan became obsessed with her bowel movements and then took too many laxatives. I think you need to look at your diet and try to eat foods that keep you regular and try to relax about it. If you are tense you will make matters worse.

Prunes, figs, pears, all slightly warmed, or stewed will improve their impact on your bowels. Drink plenty of water too.

Definitely prunes and soft fruits, avoid too much fat in your diet too

I'd say avoid foods like bread (white or brown) and pasta, and reduce rice and regular potatoes. Basically, if you hold some fresh bread in your hand and squash it, it feels gluey. It's going to act similarly in your gut. Not to say that you shouldn't have bread, but just make sure it's only occasional and just a slice here and there and that it's eaten with lots of vegetables on either side of it within your gut!

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by orchard_girl View Post
    I'd say avoid foods like bread (white or brown) and pasta, and reduce rice and regular potatoes. Basically, if you hold some fresh bread in your hand and squash it, it feels gluey. It's going to act similarly in your gut. Not to say that you shouldn't have bread, but just make sure it's only occasional and just a slice here and there and that it's eaten with lots of vegetables on either side of it within your gut!

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

I think that’s a really good suggestion about squeezing the bread, I often say that if a substance gets stuck to your teeth it’s bad for you!

Why do elderly people suffer so much with their bowels? My friends father has just been admitted to hospital because of his bowels and my Nan was obsessed with them. Am I doomed to a life of constipation when I get older?