Thread: Plastic in your tea bags!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Plastic in your tea bags!

I always thought that a teabag was completely biodegradable but it appears not!

Most teabags are made from paper, with a small amount of plastic used to seal them shut. But some premium brands have switched to using greater amounts of plastic mesh for their product instead.

This is usually so that the tea bag is held in a pyramid shape, which producers claim helps the tea leaves infuse better.

The researchers removed the tea and placed the empty teabags in water heated to 95C (203F), as if they were brewing tea.

They found that a single plastic teabag released about 11.6bn microplastic and 3.1bn smaller nanoplastic particles into the hot water. The particles are completely invisible to the naked eye.

That is a shocking amount! It's not what I want to be drinking or putting down the sink. Yeah it's the teabags that are sewn up which don't use plastic.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

What are those ‘tea pigs’ bags made from, isn’t that some form of plastic? Shocking really and quite scary to think of all the hidden exposures to harmful substances that we know nothing about!

When will the authorities start to demand a more cleaned up society and world?

Blog Entries
    Does this relate to the plastic type of tea bags the Teapigs supply?

I think I have recently that they have moved away from this type of tea bag.
    Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life