Thread: Apple health watch

Apple health watch

Okay, so not strictly a health watch, but the new Apple Watch now has a gizmo that can check the oxygen levels in your blood, as well as read your heart rate and rhythm!

Amazing, or a load of rubbish?

I think there must be some scientific proof that it can read your heart rate but it’s a slippery slope. You could become obsessed with checking your heart rate etc and worry unnecessarily about your health. On the flip side it could detect early signs of a heart problem.

I think they are a complete gimmic and a very expensive one at that. I would be interested to see the reading of your heart rate on an Apple Watch and on an ECG and see how accurate the watch is. I think you are walking round with a tracker on your wrist that is recording all your vital signs, your location, how many texts you send/receive, preferences in shopping etc. You are attached to your very own stalker!!!

My friend has an Apple Watch and I do find it fascinating how it can read her sleep pattern. She was moaning saying she had hardly slept so I suggested her watch is keeping her awake at night by reading her heart rate etc

I think there is some benefit to these watches but could it be possible that people will become too reliant on such technologies? Are these fail safe? People could be struggling with pain, lack of breath but the watch says they are okay, so they don’t seek help.

I’m not sure they can really do all these things and could you become obsessed with checking your stats and worrying unnecessarily? I know I would be!

I think that sounds amazing. But I think it would be much better if it were a proper medical device created for that intent, and priced accordingly so that the average patient, whom would need to keep an eye on their heart, could afford it, and have a device that lasts more than 2 years... :-| :-)

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk