Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dieting and weightloss

Quote Originally Posted by Jade26 View Post
    Has anyone tried any recipes from Deliciously Ella? I'm not sure how healthy some of that stuff is, with all the nut butters.
    I watched a programme on TV once about nut butters. I had this image in my head that they were butter with nuts added, but they are blended nuts, it's called a butter because of its texture.

Now, I'm not saying it healthy to eat loads, but the odd spoonful here and there will offer you some great health benefits.

Getting rid of bread was a big turning point for me in my diet, and one of the hardest things I did.

In fact I was quite surprised by how hard it was. I didn't realise how much I used bread to supplement my everyday diet. Bread for sandwiches, soup, toast, a snack, etc

I had to rethink my meals, but now, it has become second nature to not have it and think about it.
    Last edited by Dannij; 26th June 2017 at 20:40.

It seems that dieting is no longer about calories in v's calories out, it is about the types of food you consume and the nutrient content.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachael View Post
    It seems that dieting is no longer about calories in v's calories out, it is about the types of food you consume and the nutrient content.
    I think there has been a shift in the way we think about diets and have gained a greater understanding of how the body works and functions, even though I am sure there is still a lot to learn. I think the future of dieting will change again with the evolution of the more scientific DNA approach to health.

Gone are the days of calories in v's calories out.

My weight loss has bought me both joy and sadness, joy that the weight is finally coming off and I can not only feel the difference, but I can see the difference. Being able to fit into clothes that have been long forgotten has given me a new lease of life and being able to manage things easier, walk and run, even turn over in bed.

In fact it is often the little things, the things you don't tell people, or you hide from others (and often yourself). Like putting your socks on, turning over in bed, walking any sort of distance, and allowing your photograph to be taken. These are huge milestones on the weight loss journey, that 'normal' people take for granted.

The sadness comes from the disappointment in myself that I had allowed my health and wealth to deteriorate so much. When I think of all the years that were wasted being 'less than myself', the constant mind battles of loving and hating myself, feeling worthless and knowing That despite being physically the largest man in the room, psychologically I felt like the smallest.

For most of my life I saw weight loss as being something to endure, a punishment, a torturous cycle of exhaustive exercise and tasteless food. It was a constant battle of brain and bulge, I feel I have wasted many years of my life and sometimes I stop to wonder where I might be now had I taken the other path.

Ultimately, the battle has made me who I am, but I believe that I am only now just beginning to know myself.

This is a very honest account John B, and an account that I think a lot of people can relate to that feel they are carrying too much weight. I think the psychological affects of being over weight are often not considered, the social anxiety that comes with feeling you are 'different'.

I know that feeling of being the 'largest' person in the room, when really you want to be the smallest. Or have people judge you, your intelligence and social status based on your size.

I know people who have lost their weight, only to struggle with their mind catching up with their new slimmer size.

It seems more of a problem the longer you have been heavier, so when they have the weightloss and they are slim, they still think like a fat person, they still have the anxieties of being 'the largest person in the room'.

I think being very overweight or obese has far more problems associated to than people realise the psychological affect is huge and often the present themselves as being happy and 'jolly' but internally they are tortured.

I was watching a film called fat, sick and nearly dead, it about an Australian business man that is on a mission to get himself healthy again, he goes on a juice diet for 60 days and drives across the US, on route he comes across this guy named Phil Stanley (if I remember correctly), he is morbidly obese and a truck driver, to cut a long film short, Phil accepts help and decides to go on a juice diet for 10 days, extends it to 30 days, then 60 days etc he loses lots of weight, and looks really good and stuck with it for 2 years before he had a broken relationship and fell into a cycle of depression and self absorption. He regained a lot of weight, got helped again, lost the weight and then put it back again and now he is trying to get it off again, this time without the help.

This is a classic case where the main aspect of being overweight is psychological the weight is just a byproduct of the psychological issues. People who are losing a lot of weight need to recognise this and seek help for the reason why they eat.
    It isn't good enough to say, 'I love food'. They will always be on this endless cycle of yoyo dieting if they don't get their head sorted.

Thanks guys, it is an honest account, but I thought I would share because I can't be the only one that feels this way, or at least I hope I am not.

Food addition is tough, it is the first thing we are given and emotions are always connected to the stuff, growing up we have birthday parties with lots of sweet stuff, if we hurt ourselves we are given a sweetie to make us better, if we are happy we celebrate with food, even funerals have a food element. It is really hard, to fight the stuff, because we have to eat.