Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bowen technique

Red face The Bowen technique

The Bowen technique is a therapy that uses thumbs and forefingers on precise points on the body which gently stimulate the muscles, soft tissues and energy within the body. Such moves do not require manipulation or adjustment of hard tissue, and it is not a form of massive, but it does work in conjunction with the body allowing it to re-balance.

The therapy was pioneered by Thomas Ambrose Bowen, who developed a full time practice treating common problems such as back and neck pain, knee problems, sports injuries etc.

This short video may help

Hi Heather have you had this therapy yourself? If so were there any side effects and would you recommend it?

A friend of mine had this therapy and it was amazing for her.

I recently tried this therapy just before lockdown, so sadly never got the chance for further follow-ups, but at first I couldn’t quite understand how something so gentle can do anything, and I was shocked to see the therapist keep leaving the room for a few minutes after each manipulation. But I now understand that it is part of the process.

Anyway, I had a massive healing response the week after which wobbled me a bit, it doesn’t seem to be much at the time of the therapy, but this is powerful stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by AletheaRiggs View Post
    Anyway, I had a massive healing response the week after which wobbled me a bit, it doesn’t seem to be much at the time of the therapy, but this is powerful stuff!
    Would you go back again, considering the first session wobbled you and you had a healing crisis?

I was recommended Bowen therapy, I’d never heard of it, and in all honesty, thought it was a sham therapy, but I was really impressed. I only needed three sessions, about a week apart, but it did the job!

Quote Originally Posted by Rene82 View Post
    Would you go back again, considering the first session wobbled you and you had a healing crisis?
    Yes, absolutely, even more so, because of the affect it had on me, It confirms my belief that it had an effect.

Very interesting, I am not convinced this would work but it obviously does. What sort of price do people charge and how many sessions before I would see any benefits?

I seem to be suffering from neck pain on a daily basis and I’m not sure if it is stress or my pillows not being supportive enough. Would this be a good treatment for me?