Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a hairstyle racist?

Is a hairstyle racist?

Adele has been accused of cultural appropriation after sharing a picture of herself in a Jamaican flag-print bikini top with Bantu knots in her hair.

Since when has a hairstyle been allocated to a particular race or region?

Surely it’s just a hairstyle and actually a compliment to want to look like another culture?

Would you take offence?

I don't understand why people have taken offence. Isn't the same as when afro hair is straightened/relaxed?

It is crazy to take offence, I see it as a compliment. Who are these people taking offence really? do you think it is really people just trying to be controversial?

I think adopting a culture, clothing, hairstyle is a form of compliment, and respect. I live Sari’s and think they are incredibly beautiful, given an opportunity to wear one, I would, out of love, not disrespect.

The world has gone mad!

Quote Originally Posted by Dahlia View Post
    I don't understand why people have taken offence. Isn't the same as when afro hair is straightened/relaxed?
    I’ve often thought that, many Black women have their hair straightened or they wear wigs.

I don’t think any culture ‘owns’ a hairstyle, it’s a huge compliment to copy a style

If a hairstyle is racist then why can Beyoncé dye her hair blonde, it’s not her natural colour?

It’s just a small minority of people that are going out of their way to speak on behalf of the masses, and the media loves to hype stuff up, and push people’s buttons. Don’t be sucked in by the rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by guv-ner View Post
    It’s just a small minority of people that are going out of their way to speak on behalf of the masses, and the media loves to hype stuff up, and push people’s buttons. Don’t be sucked in by the rhetoric.
    That's very true.

Blog Entries
    I find this whole cultural appropriation debate mentally very tiring. When you blend cultures there will always be an adoption of those cultures, which a good thing. Such adoption and blending works both ways, and surely that was always the point.

I read with frustration that in the US, there is a push to allow Black cultures to not be expected to use standard English language in their academic work, and that only Black lecturers should teach Black people, and to make matters worse, White people are not allowed to use this same Black language.

Is this designed to make Black people feel more inclusive, so as not to be racist to their culture? But surely, this then excludes all other cultures? What about the myriad of other cultures and their language?

I worry where all this is going, and see it as divisive and not inclusive, we should be bring people together, not dividing people.
    Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life