Thread: Tight muscles

Tight muscles

I have been suffering from tight muscles for many years and these have had various impacts on my health, both physically and mentally. I have been under the care of the doctors on and off over the years, with only symptom control, rather than curative and prevention.

More recently I have turned to gentle yoga, for stretches, rather than a routine or at a yoga studio, and initially the post workout effects made me more achey, over time, I have felt more supple and in less pain

Which is fab! And it really didn’t take that long to start to really feel the benefits, maybe 2-3 weeks! Why oh why are Doctors not recommending these alternatives treatments more? Medication should always be the last resort.

I used to get terrible cramps in my legs and was told it can be a sign that you are not eating enough salt. It could be totally wrong but worth looking at.

Low salt levels are one cause of muscle cramps during long runs. “Salt” generally refers to sodium, which is an essential electrolyte. During exercise sodium is lost in sweat and blood sodium levels drop.

Yoga is a good way to stretch your tight muscles but I would look at what’s going on inside too.

Yoga is excellent for this, in fact I would encourage everyone to just do 2-3 simple yoga stretches every morning. It will make the world of difference to your health and posture.

I think you can get tight muscles from being inactive so regular exercise is good and don’t push yourself too much as it can also be a sign of overdoing exercise

Gentle stretches and yoga is great for tight muscles

Quote Originally Posted by Judy202 View Post
    I used to get terrible cramps in my legs and was told it can be a sign that you are not eating enough salt.... Low salt levels are one cause of muscle cramps during long runs. “Salt” generally refers to sodium
    Natural foods contain all the salt the body needs, don’t add salt to your foods, otherwise you may end up with other health problems, cramps or tight muscles can be caused by an electrolyte disturbance, of which salt is part of that. Eating a diet that is rich in green leaves and veg will help to stabilise any deficiencies

Adding a couple of Brazil nuts into your diet daily will also help improve your muscles, as they are a good source of magnesium. But only add a maximum of 3/day.