Thread: Junk food

Junk food

Will banning advertising of junk food before 9pm reduce obesity?

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I think it will make a difference to children because they see something and want to try it but it’s the parents that buy it so not sure if it would help.

I’m not really convinced about the real impact this will have on the overall obesity rates in this country, yes, there may be childhood influence on parents, but parents want quick fix food and it is these highly processed foods that are the problem.

Obesity is caused by lack of nutrition.

What is classed as junk food? Sweets, cakes and chocolate? In all honesty I don’t think that is the real problem, I think it’s the over processed stuff that people consider to be proper food, seemingly oblivious to the fact that it contains no nutrients.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Who are they targeting with this? The kids or the adults? I don’t think it will have any affect at all with adults if they are anything like me they watch everything on catch up and speed through the adverts anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Noella View Post
    What is classed as junk food? Sweets, cakes and chocolate? In all honesty I don’t think that is the real problem, I think it’s the over processed stuff that people consider to be proper food, seemingly oblivious to the fact that it contains no nutrients.
    Exactly! I think most people know not to gorge on loads of cakes, sweets and biscuits, the junk food and quite frankly the problem with our diet nd heals comes in the over processed Western diet we eat and consider to be food!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Who are they targeting with this? The kids or the adults? I don’t think it will have any affect at all with adults if they are anything like me they watch everything on catch up and speed through the adverts anyway!
    Well, judging by the 9pm watershed, I would say children, but are parents that weak they can’t say no to their children?

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
    I’m not really convinced about the real impact this will have on the overall obesity rates in this country, yes, there may be childhood influence on parents, but parents want quick fix food and it is these highly processed foods that are the problem.

Obesity is caused by lack of nutrition.
    Obesity is caused from lack of exercise and eating excessively

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Obesity is caused from lack of exercise and eating excessively

That’s the old way of looking at it, and research shows that it is not the case, they use to think calories in versus calories out. But that is old thinking, sadly it has not filtered down to most people.