Thread: Government advise children to use disposable lunch containers in school

Government advise children to use disposable lunch containers in school

I heard this on the news today and whilst I appreciate it is to reduce the risk of transmission of Covid from home to school and vice versa a large majority of parents will be sending children into school with their lunch in a new plastic bag every day.

Can you imagine what this will do to our planet?

There are not enough paper alternatives readily available and promoted in supermarkets and sadly disposable plastic containers are cheaper to buy

I think if the child keeps their personal lunch box away from others there is no reason why they have to use disposable ones, it seems a bit mad to make hundred of kids in a school bring their lunch in a plastic bag to throw away when it stays with you anyway so shouldn’t get contaminated

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn6 View Post
    I heard this on the news today and whilst I appreciate it is to reduce the risk of transmission of Covid from home to school and vice versa a large majority of parents will be sending children into school with their lunch in a new plastic bag every day.

Can you imagine what this will do to our planet?
    That makes absolutely no sense what so ever, the child has come from their home environment, their clothes etc are from home, what difference will a lunch box make? Also, bugs could reside on a lunch box whether the box is a day old or 5 years old.

I do wonder who on earth are advising theses idiots?

Kids in my local school had a hot meal or took their own lunch boxes into school so no single use plastic which was good

I was chatting to a friend the other day, and she confirmed her school has instigated this too!

On a separate, but similar note I went to a cafe the other day and was served my food in a polystyrene tray with lid and plastic forks... why? I presume they have always washed the dishes and cutlery to a certain standard, why this reaction for COVID-19 and not for Hepititis C, AIDS, or CJD?
    What about all the increased landfill waste?

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Kids in my local school had a hot meal or took their own lunch boxes into school so no single use plastic which was good
    Yay! Common sense prevails, I would love to talk to a head teacher who makes taking in a new lunch bag compulsory. Utterly ridiculous, with absolutely no research to support such decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    I was chatting to a friend the other day, and she confirmed her school has instigated this too!

On a separate, but similar note I went to a cafe the other day and was served my food in a polystyrene tray with lid and plastic forks... why? I presume they have always washed the dishes and cutlery to a certain standard, why this reaction for COVID-19 and not for Hepititis C, AIDS, or CJD?
    What about all the increased landfill waste?
    I am so glad you have mentioned this, I honestly find my blood pressure creeping up when I am given plastic take away items. So far I refrained from saying anything, while trying to clarify in my mind that the people doing this, THINK they are doing the right thing, for my safety.
    But, I know I am close to taking the next company to task to ask them to explain their mentality in these cases, the landfill increase must be extraordinary!