Thread: Parkinson's disease and Gut link

Blog Entries

Parkinson's disease and Gut link

This is a great article from the BBC health team. It seems there is a greater acknowledgement of the link between our gut and health. This supports the notion that Hippocrates stated that disease begins in the gut, its just a shame it has taken so long to be recognised by modern medicine!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46050744

Thanks for sharing, an interesting read and a stark reminder of how little we understand about the way the body works. I do have major concerns when I read quotes such as “Cutting the vagus nerve is linked to a lower level of Parkinson's”, I hope that this is not something that is done routinely.

What fascinates me is why, when it is so obvious we do not understand the complexities of the human body do we continue to take a reductionist view to medicine!

Is it correct that bugs travel up the vagus nerve to our brains?

Quote Originally Posted by Laura View Post
    Is it correct that bugs travel up the vagus nerve to our brains?
    Surely that can’t be correct! Otherwise everything we eat potentially goes to the brain and I thought there was a ‘blood brain barrier’.

It makes perfect sense that everything we eat eventually gets to every cell in our body, if we consume toxic foods eventually that will have an impact somewhere in our bodies.

So are they suggesting our gut has more control over our body than the brain?

Quote Originally Posted by cherry View Post
    So are they suggesting our gut has more control over our body than the brain?
    I’m not sure control is the right word, I think there is an understanding that the gut has a greater influence on the body and brain, more so than was ever understood previously.

Blog Entries
    I think the research that is coming out is fascinating, but I also find the information very frustrating. Such a bold statement, our gut affects our risk of Parkinson’s! However it doesn’t go that one step further and say what we can do to make the difference. How can we influence our gut?

What changes we we have to make to make a difference to our health and risk of diseases.

Maybe they don’t know that answer, they just know there is a link.

Does it mention the substance that is in our food that can lead to us Parkinson’s? Why don’t we just remove that from our diet?