Thread: Qualifications are they really worth it?

Qualifications are they really worth it?

There seems to be an increasing demand for students to go to university and they must obtain an A or A*. I think this is causing a huge strain on the mental health of kids as they are made to feel that if they are not academically gifted they are a second class person.

I have never been asked to show my qualifications to a single job I have been offered so what is the point of them? I know you will learn a subject but is a qualification gained 20 years ago (for older generation) worth the paper it’s written on? I think not unless you are using it every day and keeping up with refresher courses.

Stop this pressure being placed on young people and help those that are not academically gifted

I think for people who are going into a profession that requires a formal qualification such as teaching, nursing etc then you need to have a certificate to prove you are educated in a chosen subject to a particular standard but for a large proportion of children leaving school it is better to gain a vocational skill and get lots of experience.

If I were employing anyone I would be looking at your experience and personality because let’s face it, how many people do we work with that are just horrible personalities with qualifications coming out of their ears?!

They are definitely worth it if you genuinely want to learn a subject or trade but not if you are doing it to avoid getting a job!

I think there is way too much emphasis on formal qualifications, I know many people that are excellent at very skilled jobs either through self tuition due to a passion, or through moving up the ranks, yet they do not have any formal qualifications to do the job.

I think they are over rated, and only beneficial in a small minority of careers.

It always makes me laugh when they advertise a job and say they require a certain amount of qualifications and then they never ask to see proof of them!

Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
    It always makes me laugh when they advertise a job and say they require a certain amount of qualifications and then they never ask to see proof of them!
    I have seen many jobs advertised asking for an entire list of qualifications, when simply a two week period of guidance will teach you the job! Formal education is so over-rated.

I wonder how many of us are doing a job that would require a whole list of qualifications if it was advertised. Practical experience is better any day to a qualification.

I think the majority of academic qualifications are not worth it. But I do think that trade skills and qualifications are definitely worth it.