Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10,000 steps a day

10,000 steps a day

I've just received my pedometer, I ordered it so I can keep track on my daily activity level, Ideally I would like to get to a point of being able to take up running, but I feel I need to get the basics first.

I do try and keep fit, I go to the gym, cycle, row and use the cross trainer, but I find I get knackered when attempting to run.

So, I thought I would monitor my everyday movement, not just the gym and purposeful exercise. I have to say I was quite surprised by how little I move, when not being active.

I only racked up 4389 steps and that was on a day when I was keen to walk places because of the new pedometer. 10,000 steps is not that easy to achieve when you have a desk job.

Anyway, I will keep you updated on my progress.

Park your car a little further away, take the stairs and not the lift, go for a walk after your evening meal, its the small things that help it to all add up.

I think it's a great idea what your are doing, especially if you have a desk job.

I'm not sure what I rack up throughout the day, I suppose it varies. I might be tempted to join you.

Where did the magic 10,000 figure come from?

I think that 2,000 steps is equal to a mile. So the recommendation is 5 miles a day. I'm not how easy that is to rack up those miles if you have a desk job and go to and from work in your car, sit at a desk all day at best you would be achieving 2,000 steps. It would be a lot to cram in in the evening, every evening.

It is a world wide recommendation, not just a national one. I don't think there is a suggestion that 10,000 steps or 5 miles is the pinochle of fitness, I think that there is a recommendation that it's a good baseline in which to start.

It's good to have a goal and miss it by 2,000 steps than no goal and do a total of 2,000 steps. I believe the general feeling is that any movement is good, but it needs to be sustained and moving from the sofa to the kitchen isn't going to cut it.

It's going okay so far, my working days I'm finding it harder to get in the 10,000 steps, whereas my days off are easier, I often top up my steps on my days off to balance out any loss on my working days.

At the moment I am still enjoying the satisfaction gained from achieving the 10,000 steps, but I can see that eventually it will become a bit of a chore. When that occurs I may think about mixing it up a bit to keep up my interest in exercise.

So, I have ordered my pedometer, although I do have a step counter on my watch, I'm not convinced it is accurate, I much prefer the idea that the pedometer is attached to my legs.

Anyway, I thought I give this concept a go and see how I get on, I can understand your point Garyfries52 regarding maintaining the constant level of exercise and getting bored of it. But it would be interesting to see how many steps I rack up during the course of my everyday and then seeing how I can improve upon this.

Let's face it, any increase from my baseline has to beneficial.

I used one of these for a month to see how much I moved about in my everyday, I did not add in anything extra, but I totalled 6,000 steps a day, I was quite impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by guv-ner View Post
    Where did the magic 10,000 figure come from?
    I think it's a number that 'they' feel is achievable for most people, but even if people miss the target they will still be moving more than they otherwise would, in trying to achieve it.

I think 5 miles a day is quite difficult for a lot of people to achieve day in day out. I'm not sure I could achieve it consistently.