Thread: Two-thirds of wildlife lost

Two-thirds of wildlife lost

The World Wildlife Fund has declared that 2/3rds of the worlds wildlife has been lost since 1970, which they state is due to environmental destruction - deforestation, unsustainable agriculture and the illegal wildlife trade.

There statement reads - These serious declines in wildlife species populations are an indicator that nature is unravelling and that our planet is flashing red warning signs of systems failure - Marco Lambertini.

This is indeed a dire warning, and such a loss is catastrophic when you consider we are all dependant on one another and our lives are intertwined. How much more needs to be lost for us to start realising our role in this apocalypse?

It is sad to read this Alda79, and I have read so many headlines stating similar points, but what is the point? Please don’t misunderstand me, I get the point in raising it to people’s attention, but the reality is that it doesn’t change a thing. Is the world stopping it’s consumerism? Are the forests suddenly being rebuilt? And agriculture reduced? People turning plant based to save the planet?

I wish they were, but just as our society has caused all of this, it is those same people that don’t care to change their ways. It needs to be taught and attitudes changed in pre-school, and school in the hope that those children will grow up to have an understanding of their impact on the planet.

I think the wildfires in Australia dramatically reduced the amount of wildlife in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn6 View Post
    I think the wildfires in Australia dramatically reduced the amount of wildlife in the world.
    It certainly has, along with the Amazon fires, who knows how much wildlife has been lost! Stripping the land to make way for agriculture, chemical spraying etc has all contributed to this disaster.

It will be a long time before we fully appreciate the impact this loss will have on the human race!
    Last edited by Amie; 14th September 2020 at 06:42.

Recent reports suggest the trees are bursting into flames in the Amazon, with huge swathes of the Amazon on fire, this is a tragic situation, which the world just seems to watch on, helplessly. This is disastrous for the Amazon, it’s inhabitants and the world.

In the Amazon 27km2 of land is burned every hour during August. In every hectare of primary rainforest there lives:
    310 trees
    160 birds
    10 primates
    33 amphibians
    22 reptiles
    44 fish
    1bn invertebrates

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Recent reports suggest the trees are bursting into flames in the Amazon, with huge swathes of the Amazon on fire, this is a tragic situation, which the world just seems to watch on, helplessly. This is disastrous for the Amazon, it’s inhabitants and the world.
    It is heartbreaking to watch and devastating to the wildlife inhabiting the Amazon

2/3rds of wildlife? That seems an awful lot, and it would certainly be enough to trigger a disaster for those wildlife left, after all, many species rely on each other’s existence for their own existence.

Could the WWF just be plucking a figure out of the air to help drive their own revenue?

Blog Entries
    I have to admit, I used to get rubbed up the wrong way over climate and it’s change. So, here are my cards on the table.....

Now, I am passionate about the damage we as humans are doing to the planet and our environment, was I always this way, no! Not because I didn’t care about the environment, but I cared more about the way the government felt that the only way to make us change our ways was to tax us, I also did not believe, and still don’t (to a point) that climate change is solely down to humans activities. I believe it is an evolutionary change, however, I do believe that the humans need to stop pillaging from this planets finite resources for worthless items, that will end up on a scrap heap in 5 years time, this obsession is diabolical to say the least.

I absolutely deplore the way we care for our planet, we have a uncomprehendingly arrogant attitude to think our time on this planet is the only time and that this planet is not for future generations - our families, family. There really will be nothing left. People laugh at me when I say this, a point and statement I don’t even attempt to justify, life will prove my statement right within my own expected full lifespan! It really will happen that quickly.

After all we are seeing it now, it is being reported, but as usual we are focussing on the chip-paper news, rather than stuff that will actually change our being, our lives, our existence.
    I welcome the growing coverage on the media and as of today, on Facebook!!!

Put simply, our daily choices do have an impact on the other species we share this planet with, there are 7.5 billion people on this planet, if everyone of us, just made one choice, daily to make a difference, think of the impact that would make?
    Don’t use plastic bags,
    eat less meat,
    shop local, and buy local produce, including your meat,
    Don’t keep buying more new clothes, wear the ones you own more.
    keep your phone for a year longer than you intend,
    don’t throw clean water down the sink, water a plant with it.
    plant flowers that attract wildlife
    walk for exercise,
    walk in the countryside
    hand down your unwanted items, don’t throw them away.
    build a local co-operative, offer food items you won’t eat etc
    these are just a few choices you could choose on a daily basis.
    Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life