Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acid reflux

Fennel is great for acid indigestion relief. Try some chopped up in a salad, it has a mild licorice flavour.

Blog Entries
    I've just read that celery is also very good for combating acid reflu, plus it is an appetite suppressant (bonus)

Parsley is a great antacid. Add some to a smoothie or chop up in salad.

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I found out that Kiwis can offer beneficial effects to digestion, helping to reduce acid reflux and help regulate hydrochloric acid in the stomach.

Pears are an excellent soothing fruit on the digestive tract and can aid in restoring the pancreas. Pears can help to rejuvenate an overtaxed pancreas, thereby helping to prevent pancreatitis. They can act as an antispasmodic, help soothe the lining of the gut, feed beneficial bacteria and raise hydrochloric acid in the stomach. As a result, pears are excellent for combating acid reflux.

Are you sure your problem is over production of acid? sometimes underproduction can lead to the same pains and symptoms.

I found this symptom list, it may help you in recognising your problems.

SYMPTOMS OF LOW STOMACH ACID
    Here are some of the common symptoms and disorders caused by low stomach acid

Bloating, belching, and flatulence immediately after meals
    Heartburn (often thought to be caused by too much stomach acid)
    Indigestion, diarrhea, or constipation
    Undigested food in stools
    Acne
    Rectal itching
    Chronic Candida
    Hair loss in women
    Multiple food allergies
    Iron deficiency
    Weak, peeling, or cracked fingernails
    Chronic fatigue
    Adrenal fatigue
    Dry skin
    Various autoimmune diseases

I think you have a real valid point there Charlie H, I think the doctors are too quick to assign blame to too much acid, and therefore prescribe antacids, or a drug to stop acid production. Which is quite the opposite from what is needed.

Hydrochloric acid is important for digestion and absorption of many nutrients, which means that for those people suffering the symptoms they may very well be nutrient deficient, and this would show up in numerous other ways.

When stomach acid is depleted it only takes half of the number of pathogenic bacteria to cause disease, and this includes the dreaded big C!
    Here is a link to read more http://hansacenter.com/simple-at-hom...-stomach-acid/

Have you tried digestive enzymes? I've found them to be very helpful in reducing/stopping my acid. I take them with every meal, and you can get them from health food shops and probably boots, although I haven't looked for them in there.

As I'm getting older I am finding, that I am suffering acid indigestion, it seems to strike me in the early hours of the morning and now I'm finding myself going to bed with antacids to help me get through the night.

Ive stopped eating after 8pm at night and have tried some of the things suggested here with some improvement, any other suggestions that will rid me of this altogether?