Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: No glitter says Morrison’s, Waitrose and John Lewis, plastic waste

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Winsford
    Posts
    11

    No glitter says Morrison’s, Waitrose and John Lewis, plastic waste

    Morrisons, Waitrose and John Lewis have said they won't be using glitter in own-brand Christmas products this year.

    The tiny pieces of plastic can wash into the environment, harm wildlife, and get into the food chain.

    The move is part of a wider push by retailers to try to reduce festive plastics pollution.
    Boots said it would be cutting out single-use plastic packaging from Christmas gifts, taking 2,000 tonnes of plastic from its ranges.

    Asda announced in September that it would launch its first sustainable Christmas range, and Tesco uses only edible glitter.

    Sainsbury's said that this year "customers will find no glitter on our Christmas cards, wrapping paper or gift bags." It has also reduced glitter used on crackers, decorations, and flowers.

    Plastic pollution to weigh 1.3 billion tonnes by 2040

    What is the problem with plastic?
    Glitter litter 'could be damaging rivers'
    Between four and 12 million tonnes of plastic waste makes its way into oceans every year, mainly through rivers, according to estimates.

    That plastic then breaks down into smaller, toxic pieces, which can be ingested by creatures, harming and potentially killing them, if it fills their stomachs.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    38
    I never thought about glitter being made of plastic!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    31
    Hooray I hate glitter but if it’s having a positive effect on the environment that’s good news

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    12
    Good, It’s something I have never understood, I personally think all plastic tat and cards should be banned, Christmas needs to be a sustainable concept and crackers that contain plastic bits that people will never use seems utterly pointless!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Good, It’s something I have never understood, I personally think all plastic tat and cards should be banned, Christmas needs to be a sustainable concept and crackers that contain plastic bits that people will never use seems utterly pointless!
    I think you have a point but let’s face it most Christmas decorations are made from plastic so are we going to stop celebrating all things Christmas?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Kent,
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatie View Post
    I think you have a point but let’s face it most Christmas decorations are made from plastic so are we going to stop celebrating all things Christmas?
    But aren’t Christmas decorations kept year after year, whereas cracker fillings are thrown out.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Kent,
    Posts
    31
    Sad, because glitter always makes me smile (inwardly) but it really serves no purpose and does have a devastating impact on wildlife. I watched a film on Netflix the other day called plastic ocean, it was so awful, seeing the birds tummy’s full with plastic.


    Name:  27EDF89D-D7A8-467B-A180-2AC2A6575F48.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  12.4 KB
    Last edited by Geri; 23rd October 2020 at 16:17.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Darlington
    Posts
    12
    That image is horrific, so many birds and wildlife are dying because of plastic waste. I don’t see an end as our population grows unless we really make a change to paper but........ if we use more paper we need to chop down more trees which then destroys the wildlife in that area. So surely this is the circle of life and you are never really making any difference?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
    That image is horrific, so many birds and wildlife are dying because of plastic waste. I don’t see an end as our population grows unless we really make a change to paper but........ if we use more paper we need to chop down more trees which then destroys the wildlife in that area. So surely this is the circle of life and you are never really making any difference?
    If the trees are chopped down sustainably it shouldn’t impact on the wildlife too much. Although, I was watching a documentary about the planet and climate and it said that mono planting was a major problem too, because it doesn’t provide enough diversity in trees to attract diverse animal species.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the OrganicallyPure privacy policy




Flag Counter